Skip to main content
Testing Python Code


Testing your code is very important to know if your code is having the expected behavior. No one likes a software program which would give a weird result or a program which would break in the middle of a critical task and throw of ugly error codes. For this and many more reasons it’s very important to test you code before making it public, testing is not a “best practice” rather it’s a necessity to deliver clean and delicious code which will obey all the commands that the user provides.
There are many different python modules like unittest that help you to test units of your code and then there are some tools like py.test that helps you achieve the same goal, but I want to point out a simple & fast way to quickly test your piece of code without importing any separate module other than the one that is included in your project or which you have created for testing your code.
Testing code in isolation
In every type of code you must first design your code in modularised way to make debugging and maintenance easier . Let me show you one example -
Consider the following code -
  1. def func_example1 (a,b):
  2.   return a+b
  3. def func_example2 (a,b):
  4.   return a*b
  5. def func_main(func_example1(a,b), func_example2(a,b)):
  6.   result = func_example1 + func_example2
  7.   return result
  8. func_main(func_example1(1,2), func_example2(3,4))   
The above pseudo code is modularised meaning that a specific feature is divided into different functions like func_example1, func_example2 & func_main. Now since the code is divided into different functions so we can test each function separately and to do this it’s better if a separate “test module” is created where we can invoke a particular function under test with mock objects
to check that the function is really performing the intended action. Let’s consider the above pseudo code example, I will place the above code in a module named as “main_module” (you can name it as you like). I will create another module and name it as “test_module” & import the “main_module” into that -
  1. import main_module
  2. # todo - call function to be tested
We have our module ready now so we can test each function individually and for this we will pass mock objects to the function under test by invoking the function from the main_module into the test module & recording its output.
  1. import main_module
  2. output = main_module.func_example1 (1,2)
  3. print("the output of func_example1 is" + output)
I invoked only the func_example1 from the main_module and passed the objects ‘1’ & ‘2’ (which may be different from the actual data) & I could now record & test the behavior of this function in isolation which will help me to zero in on any possible bug or identify any improvement needed in that particular block of code.
Brute force method to Test the program end to end
  1. def func_example1 (a,b):
  2.   Print("1st function is now invoked")
  3.   return a+b
  4. def func_example2 (a,b):
  5.   Print("2nd function is now invoked")
  6.   return a*b
  7. def func_main(func_example1(a,b), func_example2(a,b)):
  8.   Print("main function is now invoked")
  9.   result = func_example1 + func_example2
  10.   return result
  11. func_main(func_example1(1,2), func_example2(3,4))
In the above pseudo code I have inserted simple print statements inside every function so that each time that function is invoked anywhere the statement inside the print () will be displayed on the screen along with the regular return value or action of that function which can help us test if the desired function/code block is invoked and if the control is traversing the code in the expected manner.
Using print statements like above may be a brute force way or may be a novice way to test the control flow but it’s simple & is very useful way to quickly devise a system so that you can track your program flow. I am not saying that this is the only way or it is the best way to do things but it’s one of the practical way to test your code in a short period of time and it’s more visual. If you hate the “print” statements then you can create another function which will write the output message into a log file which can be later analysed to check if your program flow is as expected or you can refer the log in case you have a break in your code. So, folks this was all for this week but more stuffs are coming your way next week, till then happy coding.
If you found this post helpful and you have any suggestion to improve my blog then do post your comments below. Additionally you can also bug me on Quora. You can also find me on Twitter or Facebook. So, why wait go ahead and start exploring.


If you wanna get started in learning Python then why not get started with the python basics chapter. Check out this link to access the Python Basic Chapter for free.


If you want to download a copy of the chapter then purchase the chapter by clicking on the following link.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned from writing a guest post

                                                     Recently I wrote a python tutorial for Datacamp , while writing this tutorial I learned a couple of things which I am going to share with you right here in my blog post. May be you can use my experiences in your own endeavours as a writer. Idea The first step is idea generation. You can either search through any previous topics in your blog post if you have one or you can go through your past learning, experiences or any problem statement that you might have gone through and you will find that while doing that you can get tons of ideas to start your article. If you fall short of ideas then you can ask for help from may be your social media followings your friends or your family, for example I asked the people at Datacamp  themselves and they suggested me a couple of topics which got me started on the right note. So, be prompt to ask for help and you will be surprised how easily you can crowd-source ideas and there's noth

Collatz sequence python : Monday fun with Python

Hello everyone. Today is Monday..well not a big deal and I know everyone knows today is a Monday. Like you I'm not a big fan of Monday, although nowadays I'm waiting eagerly for this day of the week as I get to watch a Game of Thrones episode on this day and I'm sure most of you can reciprocate the same feeling. The only thing I hate the most is the long wait till Monday night till I return to home from office and get to watch that episode for which I wait for one whole week and here I am in office waiting for the day to get over soon. The plan To kill the time I do one of the thing that I love the most. Yes, you guessed right? I code. So, I decided to fool around some python programming code to kill the boredom. Without much ado let's code :) I decided to device a python program that would help me to devise a "collatz sequence" In case you are thinking what a "collatz sequence" is then dive into this link here . For more understanding on pyt

How To Install Tensorflow On Windows

Why I am writing this tutorial ? Recently I have started learning machine learning specifically DeepLearning for one of my pet projects, and during this quest of mine I wanted to learn TensorFlow library which is developed by Google. Learning is one thing but first I needed to install the library, but there was this problem which I faced during the installation. I am using Anaconda as my package manager and trying to install the Tensorflow library on my work computer which is behind a proxy, installing directly from the anaconda cloud while behind a proxy always displayed a proxy error. How did I resolve the issue? Well this is exactly what I am going to write down in the below tutorial. The Steps To Follow Before we get all cosy with this short tutorial on Tensorflow installation, let me tell you that this tutorial is on the assumption that you have already installed Anaconda on your machine and you know at least a few basic things or two about python. If y